Sunday, September 22, 2013

The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer

Image from dugpa.com

So you may not know, but I love Twin Peaks. I adore it. I worship it. Basically, it's what I believe television should be like. 

My mum introduced me to Twin Peaks when she stumbled across the DVDs in JB Hi Fi and realised that she hadn't watched it since she was in University. I began watching Twin Peaks with her, and soon became tired of her slow watching pace and devoured the two seasons and movie in a week. Since then, I have been rewatching Twin Peaks and sharing it with as many people as I can.

So when I found out that Jennifer Lynch, David Lynch's daughter, had written 'The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer', I had a moment. Like a crazy, body-and-mind-spasm moment. I bought my copy online from The Book Depository and read the little book in a day. 

This book was worse than reading 50 Shades of Grey. It was more erotic and dark and sinister. But the most uncomfortable thing about reading this book is knowing that it is from the perspective of a 12 year old (the book begins at Laura's 12th birthday, and BOB is mentioned in the first entry [ikr] and ends the week before her death). I am used to reading/watching pretty messed up things just from being desensitised, but I don't think I will ever get over child sexual abuse, no matter how much SVU I watch. Some diary entries in the book were really awful, and I was reading the book on the bus, just kind of squirming in the back seat, hoping no one could read my mind. Because I have watched Twin Peaks so many times and because I love it so dearly, Laura Palmer has become a real girl in my mind, as I know she has in the minds of so many fans of the show. My mum told me when it first came out, all people could talk about was 'who killed Laura Palmer?'.

Anyway, I highly recommend this book to fans of the show. I think if you haven't seen Twin Peaks, you should watch the two seasons first, then the movie 'Fire Walk With Me', then read her diary. Twin Peaks and it's secrets are best found out the way that they were intended. I completely and wholeheartedly trust David Lynch and all that he does. Too many feels.


No comments:

Post a Comment